Are Grub Worms Harmful to Dogs Who Eat Them?

Canine companions eat the strangest things, including grub worms, which can be the little, 1/2-inch larvae of beetles. Grub worms themselves aren’t bad for dogs if consumed. Alas, the soils which the worms ingest and crawl through may include toxic chemicals or the eggs of intestinal parasites, such as roundworms, that can make your dog sick.

Grub Worms and Dogs

If you notice your dog is eating grub worms from your garden or the dirt featuring them, then keep him away from such areas. Grubs aren’t toxic to eat and can, in fact, be eaten safely by people and animals, but only if they’re from sterilized dirt. As the grub worms develop , they dig through the dirt they reside in, eating it as they go. If the soil comprises pesticides, bacteria, fungi or the eggs of parasitic roundworms, then your pup will probably ingest these harmful substances, also. Keep curious pooches, particularly those that enjoy eating worms or dirt, from the garden, to prevent them from becoming sick or getting infected with parasites.

Just Say No

Dogs may eat grub worms if they dig into your garden, so keep your pooch on a leash outdoors if it reveals any interest in digging in or ingesting dirt. Provide your dog food while it’s outdoors so it will not become hungry and nibble on protein-rich grub worms rather.

See related